Julia Van Soelen Kim
1682 Novato Boulevard
Novato, CA 94947
Julia Van Soelen Kim is the North Bay Food Systems Advisor serving Marin, Mendocino, Napa, and Sonoma Counties. Julia holds a Master of Science in Community Development and a Master of Public Health, both from UC Davis. Her work at UC Cooperative Extension in the North Bay focuses on the viability, sustainability, and equity of regional food systems. Her efforts are directed at strengthening the connections between farmers and consumers by supporting the viability of small-scale and diversified agricultural production and expanding access to affordable local food. Julia regularly authors articles for Grown in Marin News.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Community Insitutions, Health, and Social Services
- Community Development
- Marketing and Distribution Practices
- Food and Society
- Building Regional Markets
- Community Food Security
- Food System Assessments/Policy
- Urban Agriculture/Local and Regional Food Systems
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Galt, Ryan E.; Bradley, Katharine (2016). "What difference does income make for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) members in California? Comparing lower-income and higher-income households." Agriculture and Human Values: 1-18.
- Galt, Ryan E.; Bradley, Katharine (2015). "Eroding the community in community supported agriculture (CSA): competition’s effects in alternative food networks in California." Sociologia Ruralis
- Galt, Ryan E.; Parr, Damian (2012). "Transformative food systems education in a land-grant college of agriculture: The importance of learner-centered inquiries." Agriculture and Human Values Volume 30(Issue 1): 129-142.
- Conner, David S.; Nowaka, Andrew (2011). "Value Chains for Sustainable Procurement in Large School Districts: Fostering Partnerships." Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development Volume 1(Issue 4): 55-68.
- Gershon, Becky; Van Soelen Kim, Julia; Meigs, Reba; Klein, Lauren; Swartz, Steve (2016). Equitable Access to Healthy and Local Food in Marin County: Report to the Board of Supervisors. Marin County, UC Cooperative Extension.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2016). "Food Safety Tips to Bring Home to Your Farm or Garden." Grown In Marin News Summer 2016 Retrieved 2/14/2017, 2017, from http://growninmarin.org/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Summer_2016/Food_Safety_Tips_to_Bring_Home_to_Your_Farm_or_Garden/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2016). "Food Safety Workshop Series - June 6, 13, 20 & 27, 2016." Grown In Marin Retrieved 2/14/2017, 2017, from http://growninmarin.org/Resources/GIM_Workshops_main/Food_Safety_-_June_6_13_20_-_27_2016/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia; Enright, Mimi M. (2016). Gleaning Wisdom in Sonoma County. UCCE Sonoma Blog. Santa Rosa, CA, UCCE Sonoma. 2017:6/22/2016. http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=21529
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia; Trotter, Vince; Lewis, David; Swallow, Paulette (2016). Local Stories on Agricultural Diversification: Farmer video interviews. Novato, California. http://growninmarin.org/What_Do_We_Grow_Today_489/About_Marin_Ag/Ag_Diversification_Videos/
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2016). "Stories from the Field - Live!" Grown in Marin News Spring 2016 Retrieved 2/14/2017, 2017, from http://growninmarin.org/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Spring_2016/Stories_from_the_Field/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015, July). "Building Trust and Community with Honor System Farm Stands." Grown In Marin News from http://growninmarin.org/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Summer_2015/Honor_System_Farm_Stands/.
- Gershon, Becky; Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015). Equitable Access to Healthy and Local Food in Marin County. Preliminary Report on Policy Priorities to the Board of Supervisors. Marin Food Policy Council. October. http://ucanr.edu/sites/MarinFoodPolicyCouncil/files/223505.pdf
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015). "Honoring Agriculture Diversification - 10/21/15." Grown in Marin Retrieved 2/14/2017, 2017, from http://growninmarin.org/Resources/GIM_Workshops_main/Honoring_Agriculture_Diversification_-_10_21_15/.
- Smith, Rebecca; Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015). Marin Voice: Too many lack easy access to healthy food. Marin Independent Journal. April 6. http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20150406/LOCAL1/150409887
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015). "Pastured Poultry - 10/27/15." Grown In Marin Retrieved 2/14/2017, 2017, from http://growninmarin.org/Resources/GIM_Workshops_main/Pastured_Poultry_-_10_27_15/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2015, May). "Wholesale ahead." Grown In Marin News from http://growninmarin.org/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Spring_2015/Support_article/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2014, April). "A Showcase for Local Products: Cooper's Public Market." Grown In Marin News from http://ucanr.edu/sites/Grown_in_Marin/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/GIM_News_Spring_2014/Coopers/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia; Harris, Amina (2014). California Cottage Foods. Honey. May. http://ucanr.edu/sites/cottagefoods/files/199755.pdf
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2014). Farmers and Food Artisans Gather for a Taste of Possibilities to Come. Sonoma Marin Farm News. December. https://www.sonomafb.org/Farm+News/Farm+News+Archive/2014/Dec+14/Taste+of+Possibilities.htm
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2014). Innovative Programs in the San Francisco North Bay Help Urban Farmers and Backyard Gardeners Legally Sell Their Harvest. UC ANR Urban Agriculture Website. September 10. http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=15275
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2014, July). "Not just delicious, local food can be affordable, too!" Grown In Marin News from http://ucanr.edu/sites/Grown_in_Marin/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Summer_2014_518/CalFreshAndMarketMatch/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2014, October). "Urban Agriculture is Growing in Marin County." Grown In Marin News from http://ucanr.edu/sites/Grown_in_Marin/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/Fall_2014/Urban_Agriculture_is_growing_in_Marin_County/.
- Van Soelen Kim, Julia (2013, January). "Building a More Sustainable Food System: An Organic Food Co-op in West Marin." Grown In Marin News from http://ucanr.edu/sites/Grown_in_Marin/Grown_In_Marin_News/Archived_Issues/GIM_News_Winter_2013/Foodshed/.