Broadband Deployment & Utilization Advisor (Applied Research and Extension) AP 21-55
Date Posted: December 20, 2021
Closing Date: February 18, 2022
Job Description: Download
The University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR), a statewide program with local development and delivery, is seeking the following UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Advisor.
Location Headquarters: Bishop, Inyo County, CA
Purpose. The Broadband Deployment/Utilization Advisor will implement an innovative extension education and applied research program around the intersection of rural broadband access and utilization and associated economic and community development opportunities.
The position will involve
- Coordinating with local entities to develop and implement strategies for developing and deploying affordable, last mile broadband access
- Assessing the impact of efficient rural broadband access in facilitating economic development and community resilience
- Strengthening economic resilience by fostering innovation, a diverse business community, and advancing business planning through enhanced broadband access and utilization.
This position offers the opportunity to integrate and bring focus to the potential for rural broadband access to enhance local community development, provide access to telemedicine health networks, enhance distance learning, and enable more effective economic development in the region.
Counties of Responsibility. This position will be headquartered in Inyo County and serve Mono County as well as Ridgecrest and Inyokern in northeastern Kern County.
Education: A minimum of a Master’s degree in community and economic development, business, public health, public administration, GIS, information science, or related field is required at the time of appointment.
- Valid driver license
- Solid understanding of rural broadband access and utilization
- Live within a commutable distance of the position headquarters during period of appointment.
- Experience in rural communities and natural resource-based economies
- Passion and desire to pursue a career in Cooperative Extension and community development
- Experience in building partnerships and with multidisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to effectively plan programs, manage teams, and implement an applied research and outreach program, including setting measurable goals and objectives
- Knowledge of telemedicine delivery and implementation
About the Eastern Sierra
California’s Eastern Sierra region is noted for its beautiful mountains, open space, and recreational opportunities. It is a land of stunning contrasts with both the highest and lowest points in the contiguous 48 states. Most land is owned by governmental entities which provides open, undeveloped spaces, but it also creates unique challenges to economic expansion and commercial services. Ridgecrest, Bishop, and Mammoth Lakes are the main retail centers in the region, all linked by US Highway 395.
Bishop is located approximately 5 hours north of Los Angeles and 4 hours south of Reno, Nevada.
Salary: The beginning salary will be in the Assistant CE Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding CE advisor series salary scales, please refer to: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/358478.pdf
This position is eligible for indefinite status following three successful reviews and subject to terms noted in UC ANR Policy and Procedure Manual, Section 315 https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/118501.pdf
Benefits: The University of California offers comprehensive benefits including vacation, sick leave, and approximately thirteen paid holidays per year. For more information, refer to the UC Benefits website at: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
If interested in this position, please visit: https://recruit.ucanr.edu/ and choose “applicants” (refer to position #21-55)
Closing Date: To assure full consideration, application packets must be received by February 18, 2022 – (open until filled)
Contact Tatiana Avoce email: firstname.lastname@example.org