Animal Health Technician 2 – Hopland, CA, Job ID 61262
Date Posted: November 3, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
The position has primary responsibility for management of the Center's research sheep flock, including grazing schedules, lambing, shearing, nutrition, veterinary care, and predation management. Manages other animals owned by the Center, including guardian dogs. Interacts with researchers and graduate students, providing technical support for animal science research and teaching activities. Collects, manages, and analyzes data and information related to sheep and range management research projects and Center's animal databases. Develops information from the data and communicates to other staff, researchers, and the public. Takes a lead role in developing and conducting educational events at the Center such as workshops, field tours, and other outreach related to animal and rangeland resources.
Under the supervision of the Center Director, and as the primary position providing care and management of livestock used to support research and extension at the Hopland Research and Extension Center (HREC), the incumbent will:
- Oversee and provide all manner of non-veterinarian care for sheep and guardian dogs using best management practices to ensure optimum health, including all lambing activities
- Develop annual, seasonal, and quarterly grazing plans to support research, extension, and management needs while ensuring pasture health
- Use software to maintain and update grazing rotation and animal health records
- Assist with the collection of physical samples and research data in coordination with researchers and the Staff Research Associate
- Coordinate with and lead other staff in planning sheep and pasture management activities
- Coordinate grazing, research, and extension activities with private cattle producer leasing REC pastures, provide feedback to producer about cattle health and pasture conditions
- Participate in developing and enacting educational and extension programming related to livestock
- Work with Facilities Supervisor to ensure functionality of animal care infrastructure, provide maintenance care of said infrastructure (barns, water systems, fencing, corrals)
This position is a career appointment that is 100% fixed.
Pay Scale: $25.44/hour to $29.38/hour
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California Policy on Vaccination Programs, as may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
To apply, go to:
If you are a current employee of our organization please use the following link instead: