Science-based solutions for Marin's communities, farms, and environment
UC Cooperative Extension Celebrates 100 Years of Service
Help us celebrate 100 years of UC Cooperative Extension researchers and educators drawing on local expertise to conduct agricultural, environmental, economic, youth development and nutrition research that helps business thrive! Learn more - and please sign our guestbook!
Current News & Publications
- The real mozzarella has arrived! Read about the newest addition to Marin's farmstead cheese plate in the Marin IJ
- Check out the Redwood Times's take on North Coast grain growers from Marin to Humboldt helping to evaluate different wheat varieties for baking and other uses
- Hear David Evans talk about his vision for a viable local food system including the Rancho harvest facility.
- Listen to this KQED discussion on the Rancho closure, including comments from Stephanie Larson, UC Cooperative Extension Sonoma County's Director and Livestock Range Management Advisor.
- Congratulations to the Giacominis for winning the Leopold award honoring land stewardship - read more in the Marin IJ
- Marissa Thornton wants to work on the 1,000-acre ranch that her ancestors founded more than 160 years ago above Tomales Bay. She has launched a crowdsourcing campaign to reach her goal. Read more . . .
- Marin Sun Farms is growing - read about Dave Evan's journey towards opening the largest wholesale butcher shop in San Francisco this summer in the Point Reyes Light.
- Read the piece in California Cattelmen's magazine featuring Guido Frosini of True Grass Farms on the next generation of farmers and ranchers.
- The use of Livestock Protection Dogs is on the rise with regional producers, notes the Point Reyes Light.
- Read about Valley Ford Mercantile, the new wool mill now open in Valley Ford.
- Point Reyes Bay Blue and Toma win two prestigious "sofi" (Specialty Outstanding Food Innovation) Gold Awards for Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese at this years Fancy Food Show in New York.
- Read the more about the Sonoma Marin Cheese Trail from the LA Times perspective.
- The Sonoma Marin Cheese Trail made it to the New York Times, highlighting the local cheese treasures of Barinaga Ranch, Cowgirl Creamery, Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese, Two Rock Valley Goat Cheese, and West Marin Food & Farm Tours!
- Loren Poncia and family of Stemple Creek Ranch win the 2013 J.W. Jamison Perpetual Trophy at the Sonoma County Fair.
- America’s longest-operating cheese company now has just one name and a new look!
- Read the Point Reyes Light's take on Marin's new producer label, GrownLocal Marin.
- Read about Barinaga Ranch, a tour destination from the 7th Annual Artisan Cheese Festival in the Press Democrat.
- Learn about Grown Local Marin - a new overarching trademark identifying food providers as local - in the Marin IJ.
- Listen to RCD Executive Director Nancy Scolari and Peter Martinelli of Fresh Run Farm speak about what a recently awarded grant will mean to Bolinas farms and to the Coho salmon and steelhead that spawn and mature in Pine Gulch.
- Hear Corda, Dolcini, Grossi and McDonald Families Reveal West Marin Ranching and Dairy Life Over 150 Years on KWMR's West Marin Report
- Listen to Part 1 and Part 2 of the West Marin Report with MALT's Bob Berner on the State of Agriculture in West Marin.
- Listen to Part 1 and Part 2 of the West Marin Report with UCCE Director David Lewis and RCD Executive Director Nancy Scolari on the newly published A Half Century of Stewardship programmatic review in this first installment of a two-part series on KWMR.
- The second edition of Advances in Youth Development is now out, including chapter 11 in Volunteer Leader Development - Digest and Modules written by Youth Development Advisor Jane Chin Young.
- Check out "Farmstead and Artisan Cheeses: A Guide to Building a Business" for everything you need to know to start a cheese business.
- The second edition of "Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California" is newly updated and your "go-to" reference if you are planning to add a tourism venue to your farm operation.
Cooperative Extension Marin County
1682 Novato Boulevard
Novato, CA 94947
Phone: (415) 473-4204
4-H Desk: (415) 473-4207
Fax: (415) 473-4209
Director: David J Lewis